Jail Quotas - quota.user hard link

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Apr 26 22:32:51 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I have a question about using quotas in a jail with FreeBSD 6.x.  So far I have
had no problems on a test box with setting quotas from the host using a numeric
UID (ie: edquota -u 20000 where UID 20000 is a user that only exists in a
jail).  That seems to "just work".

The problem comes when I want the jailed users to be able to see what their
current usage is.  I have a few jails on one partition, so the problem is that
the quota.user file is outside the jail.  Making a hard link to
/jails/quota.user from /jails/jailX/quota.user starts to solve the problem.

Only one jail actually needs this capability.  Is there any problem with this
technique of making a hard link to the real quota.user?

One other note...  I do null mount ports into two jails from another jail that
is used strictly for package building (all on the same filesystem). Are there
any weird nullfs/quota interactions to be aware of?

Thanks,

Charles
___
Charles Sprickman