nozomi interface to 3g / umts cards

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Sat Apr 15 21:26:10 UTC 2006

Hi hackers,

I'm wondering if anyone is already working on a port of the nozomi
card interface? For those not being aware of, the nozomi interface
is the next generation interface for Option Wireless N.V. 3G / UMTS
cards.

Option released the source of their nozomi interface under a GPL
style license and a Linux port already exists. I would like to try a
port of the sources to BSD if no one else is already working on it.

Nozomi is building the interface to HSDPA (high speed downlink
packet access = up to 7.2 MBit/s) 3G cards which is highly of (at
least my) interest for the BSDs. I'm already running a 3G router
under FreeBSD RELENG_6 (more or less satisfiying as there's a total
lack of manufacturer documentation from Novatel Wireless).

Also I do see the need for improving parts of the FreeBSD system to
automatically detect other (older) 3G cards (the only card currently
being detected is a Novatel Wireless U530/U630 which implements
serial-over-PCMCIA but with that card sio.c needs to get a very easy
patch). Most Option N.V. cards do not run with stock FreeBSD but the
changes are minimal to get it to work.

But my number one task is the nozomi interface. As I've never
developed kernel modules or device drivers I would probably need one
of the current hackers (probably from core team) as a mentor and
also as a commiter.

Again, main question is currently: Is anybody already working on the
nozomi interface?

Greetings,

Volker