User mounting take 2

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 15 18:10:13 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 11:13 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >
> > //%u at server/homes    /home/%u/smb_home    smbfs    rw,noauto,user    0 0
> >
> > Then, a user could just run, for example:
> >
> > mount /home/marcus/smb_home
> >
> > And their SMB home directory would get mounted (~/.nsmbrc is also
> > respected).
>
> Nice.  Very nice.  A couple of questions though:
>
> What happens if the 'noauto' flag is omitted?

I thought about this for a while.  I considered adding a "glob" flag
similar to noauto that would have to be present in order to do
wilcarding.  I decided not to do it, and force all wilcarded entries to
be noauto.

>   Or the 'user' flag?

If the "user" flag is omitted, then users will not be able to mount
those file systems.

>   Should %u
> or wild cards work for root?

Yes.

>   Should they work at boot time (ie. when
> 'mount -a' is run)?

At this point, no.  Wildcard expansion will not be done for -a.  Such
mounts will fail.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org