Per CPU cpu-statistics under SMP

Marco van Tol marco at tols.org
Fri Apr 14 10:38:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:20:40AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 April 2006 17:50, Marco van Tol wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > My apologies if this is the wrong list to ask this kind of question.
> > I would appreciate a pointer to the correct list if it is please. :)
> >
> > I noticed in the code for gkrellm /usr/ports/sysutils/gkrellm2 that SMP
> > per-cpu statistics were not yet supported under FreeBSD, and decided to
> > check whether I could add that.  (I'm running a (dual-core) Athlon64 X2
> > with FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE)
> > I can't find sample code and/or documentation on how to acquire that
> > information from the kernel.

[...]

> > Is there an interface under FreeBSD to acquire the necessary per-cpu
> > statistics?
>
> They don't exist currently.  I have a patch to make the stats per-CPU
> for performance reasons (though it only helps out on systems with lots
> of CPUs (like 10) and hurts on systems with fewer CPUs (like 4)).  It
> doesn't include a sysctl to get the per-CPU stats, but I could add one.

OK, that I could use to get started on the code for adding per-CPU stats to
gkrellm under FreeBSD.  Is the patch against FreeBSD CURRENT?

Then if the per-CPU stats code hits the STABLE trunk, it's likely to be only
a few changes to what I did perhaps. Or am I running a bit to far ahead
here? :)

Is the patch in available your home area on www.freebsd.org?

Thanks!

Marco

--
A male gynecologist is like an auto mechanic who never owned a car.
- Carrie Snow