FreeBSD Crash without Errors, Warnings, or Panics

Matthew Hagerty matthew at digitalstratum.com
Thu Apr 13 19:14:55 UTC 2006

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> Matthew Hagerty wrote:
>
>> Can anyone shed some light on this, give me some options to try?
>> What happened to kernel panics and such when there were serious
>> errors going on?  The only glimmer of information I have is that
>> *one* time there was an error on the console about there not being
>> any RAID controller available.  I did purchase a spare controller and
>> I'm about to swap it out and see if it helps, but for some reason I
>> doubt it.  If a controller like that was failing, I would certainly
>> hope to see some serious error messages or panics going on.
>>
>> I have been running FreeBSD since version 1.01 and have never had a
>> box so unstable in the last 12 or so years, especially one that is
>> supposed to be "server" quality instead of the make-shift ones I put
>> together with desktop hardware.  And last, I'm getting sick of my
>> Linux admin friends telling me "told you so!  should have run
>> Linux...", please give me something to stick in their pie holes!
>
> Several times now I have had Linux servers (and production quality
> ones, not built by me ones :-)) die in a somewhat similar fashion.  In
> every case the cause has been either a flaky disk or a flaky disk
> controller, or some combination.
>
> What seems to happen is that the disk is entirely "lost" by the OS.
> At that point any process which never accesses the disk (i.e. is
> already in memory) is able to run but the moment any process tries to
> access the disk it locks up.  So you can't ssh in to the server, but
> if you happen to be logged in, you shell is probably cached and keeps
> working.  If you typed ls recently, you can run ls (but see nothing or
> get a cryptic error message like I/O Error), for example.
>
> Clearly nothing is logged as the disk has gone AWOL.  Often the
> machines behaved fine after a reboot and then did the same some time
> later.  In one case, the supposedly transparent "RAID-1" array was
> completely broken, but Linux logged precisely nothing to tell you :-(
> You can stick that where you like in your Linux friends :-O
>
> This somewhat fits with your symptoms.  If the disk vanished, then all
> those postgres processes would probably fail unless everything they
> needed happened to be cached in RAM.  The Web server and PHP scripts
> probably are cached in RAM if they are called frequently so you might
> well see lots of postgres processes stacked up.
>
> LSI MegaRAID has a CLI of sorts in sysutils/megarc.  You might start
> with that (and check the RAID BIOS next time the machine reboots).
>
> I'd say that if you have an alternative RAID controller that would be
> a good place to start.  If LSI do any stndalone diagnostics, you could
> try those.
>
> --Alex
>
> PS Kernel's usually panic when some internal state is just too wrong
> to continue.  A disk or even a controller disappearing isn't going to
> make the internal state wrong - it's just a device gone missing - so I
> [...]

Hmm, that just seems odd that a disk controller just vanishing would not
cause some sort of console message?  Even if the disk device is gone,
/dev/console should still be intact to display an error, no?  Also, a
disk device that is all of a sudden missing seems pretty serious to me,
since a disk is one of the main devices that modern OSes cannot run
without (generally speaking.)  I would think *some* console message
should be warranted.

I'll see if there are any diag programs for the controller and I'll go
ahead and swap the controller out.  I wonder if the RAID configuration
in stored in the controller or on the disks?  I'd hate to have to
rebuild the server install...

Thanks for the info.
Matthew