Problems with FreeBSD 6.0

gs_stoller at juno.com gs_stoller at juno.com
Wed Apr 12 22:50:16 UTC 2006

	I tried out  FreeBSD 6.0  (sorry, I copied just part or
 uname -a  and I got something like "LINUX  2.4.2 FreeBSD 6.0 -
Release #0: Nov 3 09:36:13 UTC 2005  i686 i686 i386 GNU/LINUX")
and was surprised to find that things in the  echo  command didn't
work.  When I typed
		echo	"a\tb"
I got  a\tb , no tab replacing the "\t"  Same for "\n".
	When I tried to type
		echo	"<tab>b"
where  <tab>  stands for hitting the  tab  key, when I hit  <tab>  the
first time, nothing happened, when I hit it immediately afterward, I
got an  ls -A  listing.  I did manage to get a  tab  into the string
by typing something else there in place of  tab  and then editting
the command with  r  (the  replace  function) to put a  tab  in it.
	When I hit  <tab>  similarly immediately after the command
prompt I got a question asking if I wanted to see the 424 (or was it
 242 ?) possibilities and the computer responded immediately after a
'y' or 'n' key was hit.
	How could this happen?  The  echo  command (and  builtin , I
tried both [and I presume that  echo  by itself invokes the  builtin ])
should be standard?