Using any network interface whatsoever

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Apr 10 00:49:42 UTC 2006

In message: <20060409090757.GW80492 at spc.org>
            Bruce M Simpson <bms at spc.org> writes:
: What it really comes down to is that one needs a PCI variant which supports
: what's known as 'geographical addressing', and for FreeBSD's device / ifnet
: framework to support naming cards according to the geographic i.e. physical
: address.

I though thtis was already supported.  We export bus/slot/function
information devd, which can be used to configure the device.

: Unfortunately the only systems which tend to implement this feature at
: the moment are CompactPCI based chassis systems. Although there is support
: for geographical addressing in a recent ACPI spec but as far as I know
: it may only really have made its way into blade systems.

How is this different than bus/slot/function?

Warner