Fundraising for FreeBSD security development

Frode Nordahl frode at nordahl.net
Wed Apr 5 20:00:38 UTC 2006

On 30. mar. 2006, at 22.20, Colin Percival wrote:

> Slightly more than three years ago, I released FreeBSD Update, my
> first
> major contribution to FreeBSD.  Since then, I have become a FreeBSD
> committer, joined the FreeBSD Security Team, released Portsnap, and
> become the FreeBSD Security Officer.  However, as I have gone from
> being a graduate student at Oxford University -- busy writing my
> thesis
> -- to a researcher at Simon Fraser University -- busy doing research
> and writing papers -- my "to do" list of FreeBSD-related work has
> continued growing, and I have now come to realize that some of the
> items on that list will probably never be finished until I get a
> chance
> to work full-time on FreeBSD.

I would like to take the chance to thank you for your work for
FreeBSD! freebsd-update and portsnap are welcome innovations that
make managing a large number of FreeBSD servers easier!

I think the binary patch concept has enormous potential, and I look
forward for the fruits FreeBSD will gather from it in the future. (My
wet dream is freebsd-update for installed ports).

I have to ask, if the fundraise succeeds, will some time be spent on
providing freebsd-update support for amd64? :-)

Frode Nordahl
frode at nordahl.net