RFC: Adding a ``user'' mount option

Alex Dupre ale at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 4 06:30:19 UTC 2006

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> What I'd like to achieve is a simple out-of-the-box way of mounting
> media such as CDs, and floppy disks without users necessarily needing to
> know about sysctl.  While I can't speak for KDE, I know GNOME already
> has the ability to detect user-mountable media, and gives the users
> icons on the desktop to mount said volumes.

I don't know what exactly you mean with 'detect user-mountable media',
but a KDE user may have desktop icons for every device/fs listed in
/etc/fstab. I assume GNOME works in a similar way. And clicking on the
icon of course will mount the media with the 'mount' command. KDE also
monitor changes to the fstab file and can open a dialog window when a
new media appears, but since the fstab file is not automatically updated
on FreeBSD (I don't know how it works exactly on Linux) this feature is
quite useless.

--
Alex Dupre