rc sequencing issue / mountcritremote

Tuc at T-B-O-H ml at t-b-o-h.net
Sat Sep 3 12:34:28 PDT 2005

> On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 12:20:41PM -0400, Tuc at T-B-O-H wrote:
>
> >       The problem I'm having is that when it attempts to remotely
> > mount the NFS filesystem I need, there are no support programs
> > running, namely (I THINK) :
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/rpcbind
> > /etc/rc.d/nfsclient
> > /etc/rc.d/mountd
> > /etc/rc.d/nfsd
> > /etc/rc.d/nfslocking
>
> This is wrong, you don't need anything to mount remote NFS filesystems.
> nfsclient only sets some useful sysctls.
> See handbook for details.

	nfsclient not only does sysctls, but also runs rpc.umntall via
a dependency. I would still think the best time to do this is before
the remote filesystem is mounted. Since there are other items that need
rpcbind, it should be started first, and again I think before the
filesystem. In checking more, the mountd isn't needed.

	The nfsd seems to take into account nfsserver,
rpcbind, mountd and a sysctl. However, the biggest one after rpcbind
I would think is nfslocking. It runs rpc.statd and rpc.lockd. I've
run into ALOT of problems with things if locking isn't running. So
isn't this also necessary before the mount? I know I use the remote
filesystem very soon after its mounted, so it would need to be
running very early on.

	So, even with the others not running, wouldn't I need
rpcbind and nfslocking done just before remotemountcrit?

	One other thing I didn't touch too much on, is what
about the DNS resolution for the remote mount? named isn't running
until much later, so it hangs.... Isn't that something that should
be running so the resolution can happen?

		Thanks, Tuc