FreeBSD 5/6/7 kernel emulator for NetBSD 2.x

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Oct 28 23:04:19 PDT 2005

In message: <20051026181403.GF1702 at neuron.fnop.net>
            Rui Paulo <rpaulo at fnop.net> writes:
: On 2005.10.26 10:22:52 -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
: | On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:35:47PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
: | >
: | > Main features:
: | >
: | > - Implements FreeBSD's devfs on NetBSD.
: |
: | In the past, we (NetBSD folks) have talked about a devfs. One issue that
: | has come up (I'll be honest, I've raised it a lot) is a desire to retain
: | permission changes across boots, and to tie devices (when possible) to a
: | device-specific attribute rather than a probe order.
: |
: | Does FreeBSD's devfs support locators and persistent information? Are
: | there plans to support something like that, if not?
:
: I remember Linux's devfs having a configure file for that particular
: objective. The user would set the permission flags in (I can't recall
: if this is the real name) /etc/devfsd.conf and let devfsd do the job.
:
: You could also use another directory for permissions, like /dev-state,
: but personally, I don't like this method.
:
: http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.html#persistence

FreeBSD also has a file that can be used to control the permissions
and ownerships at runtime.  The persistance can be there, but isn't
there by default like the old nodes in /dev.

Warner