RFC: porting NetBSD fsdb enhancements to FreeBSD

Matt Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Thu Oct 27 21:59:14 PDT 2005

Recently I've had to do some low-level surgery on some disks that have gone
bad in order to recover some of the data.
This has required me to zero out blocks on disk, patch up the affected
files, and pull the data off the disks.

I was toying around the with fsdb tool, but couldn't figure out a way to map
blocks to inodes (although the 'blocks' command does the mapping in the
other direction quite nicely.)

Poking around I found that someone has added this functionality (via a
"findblk" command) to NetBSD's fsdb (back in 2003!), which I have grafted
onto a 4.x box here with relative ease.

NetBSD Mailing List Posting:
http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.netbsd.tech.userlevel/browse_thread/thread/18acceb04cf5aadb/2a891d67edf9279%232a891d67edf9279?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=0&num=3)
NetBSD CVS:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sbin/fsdb/fsdb.c.diff?r1=1.24&r2=1.25&f=h

Is this something that folks would like to see on FreeBSD?  I've got
RELENG_5_4 and RELENG_6_0 boxes here in my office so I can whip up the
patches and do some testing in short order.

Regards,
--
Matt Emmerton