FreeBSD 5/6/7 kernel emulator for NetBSD 2.x

Jason Thorpe thorpej at shagadelic.org
Wed Oct 26 10:55:42 PDT 2005

On Oct 26, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> In the past, we (NetBSD folks) have talked about a devfs. One issue
> that
> has come up (I'll be honest, I've raised it a lot) is a desire to
> retain
> permission changes across boots, and to tie devices (when possible)
> to a
> device-specific attribute rather than a probe order.

The permission thing is solvable using scripts that can fix up the
perms after mount.

The "nodes named after attributes" thing is interesting... and
largely something I'm concerned about with wedges, although in that
case, it's pretty easy to handle from within wedges itself.

> Does FreeBSD's devfs support locators and persistent information? Are
> there plans to support something like that, if not?

FreeBSD's devfs does not, to my knowledge, include the things that
you have mentioned above.

FWIW, I think a devfs based on our new tmpfs would be better for NetBSD.

-- thorpej