How disable attachment of sio(4) driver to device?

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Fri Oct 21 13:39:59 PDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:35:43AM +0200, Frank Behrens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a device driver for UART with a protocol, that can not be
> handled by the default sio(4) driver. The driver works fine - the
> only problem I have is to disable the attachment of sio(4) driver to
> the device.

If it is just needing tx-enable for RS485 you might use a standard
FT232BM chip - they have support to do it transparently.
However, if you need 9-bit or complex timing it's problematic.
But even with 16550 and special kernel driver timing is hard to do it
right.
I personally build specialized USB and Ethernet devices for doing
Modbus/RTU RS485 timing.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de