freebsd-5.4-stable panics

Rob Watt rob at thing.net
Fri Oct 14 06:57:57 PDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Rob Watt wrote:

> The test machine did panic. Unfortunately I was not running with
> BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER. I will re-run the tests with all of the debugging
> options we were using before, and then send you the trace info.

Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce the panics with
BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER compiled into the kernel. I have no log messages or
core info from the first panic/reboot. We've been having other problems
with our 5 machines, so it's possible (and likely) that the reboot I
saw was unrelated to your patch. I ran our stress tests for about 14 more
hours without incident. Before we were able to trigger the kern_proc bug
on a 6.0 machine within 0-2 hours.

We've only experienced the kern_proc bug in 6.0. The bugs we've
experienced in 5.4 are multicast/network-threading related. So
unfortunately the only thing we can really test for is whether the machine
is still stable with your patch.

I've had to put all of my test machines back into production running 6.0.
If I can free a 5 SMP machine for more tests, I will do so, but at this
point it would good if someone else can test the 5.4 patch. I can't
post our simulations, but something similar to Antoine Pelisse's  test
program should be sufficient to see if the patch works.

thanks for your help.

-
Rob Watt