system password's file

Giovanni P. Tirloni gpt at tirloni.org
Fri Oct 14 12:50:59 PDT 2005

Baldur Gislason wrote:
> This will not work, but I did migrate a 100 users from Linux to FreeBSD
> a couple of years ago. What I did was I used an application that comes
> with john the ripper called deshadow or something like that to combine
> the shadow and the passwd files into a passwd file with the hashes in place.
> Then I wrote a perl script to convert the linux passwd file into a BSD
> compatible passwd file, and then just appended it to my master.passwd
> and rebuilt the database by using vipw.
> I'm sure there are applications to do this.

  It's funny but I migrated ~100 users too last month from Slackware 10
to FreeBSD 5.4 and I had no problem with the password hash. I created a
small script to extract fields from shadow/passwd and re-added those
users using pw and the -H option to supply their encrypted password.

  It seems to have worked fine and this whole thread just got me by
surprise with the feeling that I completely forgot about password
differences between Linux and FreeBSD at the time. I'm glad everything
worked!

--
Giovanni P. Tirloni