libarchive vs. libtool

Pascal Hofstee caelian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 09:10:13 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 08:17 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Tim Kientzle wrote:
> >   Log:
> >   1) Use GNU libtool to build shared libraries on non-FreeBSD
> >      systems (or on FreeBSD systems when using ports).
> >   2) Overhaul the versioning logic.  ....
>
> Does anyone on this list think they understand libtool?
>
> I've been talking to someone using Debian who is trying
> to figure out why Debian produces a libarchive.so.1.2.36
> and FreeBSD produces a libarchive.so.3 from the exact
> same build system.
>
> The discussion of version numbering in "info libtool"
> is quite baffling.

The problem lies in the fact that somewhere somehow the libtool people
apparently thought it would be funny to make the way the library version
numbering works FreeBSD different from the way they do it on Linux. (At
least that's my understanding of the matter).

You may want to check the freebsd-gnome@ list and do a search for
ltverhack. It is my understanding that it is the intention to have this
bogon fixed in ports post 6.0.

--
Pascal Hofstee <caelian at gmail.com>