Driver Development Books?

Pete TheManifestShadow at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 09:47:26 PDT 2005

Hello,
    I have what may seem to be a silly question, but I cannot find any
other decent resources on the web. >.< The problem that I am having
right now is
that I have a fairly nice graphics card which, for the moment is only
supported on Windows Operating systems, and old 2.4 Linux kernels. So
far there has
not been much positive outlook in porting the drivers to *BSD or any of
the 2.6 kernels that I know of, let alone 64-bit drivers for non-Win OSes.

So I guess that makes my question fairly simple then; I know that driver
code is written in C (which I am learning currently) but thats about all
I know. I'm probably
not far off when I say that I need more to go on. Yet, from looking at
Amazon.com I have not been able to find any books on writing driver
code, which is really
frustrating.

One of my security related books, Rootkits, tells me about how to write
drivers for a completely different reason so I know a bit more about how
they work but again
the code involved does not interface hardware to the OS, just injects a
custom application. The other tool that I will probably use is Jungo,
which is a nice-looking
application which automates a skeletal version of the driver you need,
but again, I would not know how to fill it out.

Any help is appreciated.

-Pete

"Rootkits" Book Homepage -- http://www.rootkit.com/
Jungo WinDriver -- http://www.jungo.com/windriver.html