diskless broken in 6.x ?

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Wed Oct 5 12:07:01 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am trying to boot a diskless box (via PXE), both server and diskless
run FreeBSD 6.0-BETA4. The diskless machine hangs after printing
the date on the console. I added debug output to /etc/rc,
/etc/initdiskless and finally /sbin/init. It seems to hang in init
after calling multi_user().

A bit before the hang, rc.initdiskless does
sysctl -n kern.bootp_cookie and it prints:
sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.bootp_cookie'

Is this a known issue? I can upgrade to -current if needed.

PS in the process of setting up the diskless root I also updated
clone_root to work with fbsd > 4.x, retaining 4.x compatibility,
seems to work fine.

thanks
marco
--
He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself
without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine,