How to troubleshoot solid freeze-up?

David S. Madole david at madole.net
Sun Oct 2 12:59:55 PDT 2005

I'm looking for some tips on how to troubleshoot a possible driver
problem. Here is the scenario:

1. Using a Pentium II 333Mhz mobile processor, 82443BX motherboard, and
Intel i82559 NIC (fxp driver).

2. A combination of heavy disk I/O, high CPU utilization, and high
network traffic causes a solid machine freeze-up sometime between 10
minutes and 3 hours of running.

3. Replacing the NIC with a DP83815-based card (sis driver) seems to
solve the problem. I have run the problem load for up to 8 hours without
issue on this NIC.

4. The problem is reproducable on multiple identical machines with
multiple identical NICs. Also reproducable on an i82558 NIC integrated on
the motherboard.

How can I go about collecting useful information to troubleshoot this
when the machine locks solid? How can a get a core under this scenario?

Switching to another NIC permanently is not a great solution because this
is a semi-embedded application and I need to use the NIC on the
motherboard.

Thanks,
David Madole