JFS2 on freebsd

Kamal R. Prasad kamalp at acm.org
Sun Oct 2 01:05:57 PDT 2005

On 09-Sep-05, at 5:43 PM, Sergey Babkin wrote:

>> From: Mike Silbersack <silby at silby.com>
>>
>> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Kamal R. Prasad wrote:
>>

>>> would a port of JFS2 be of interest to freebsd core?
>>> thanks
>>> -kamal
>>>

>> There are many things that would be of interest to FreeBSD users, but
>> that's not a good reason to start a project.  If you're motivated
>> only
>> because you think others desire your work, you'll probably give up
>> when
>> you have to start dealing with all the realities of the project.
>> However,
>> if you're motivated because *you* want to port JFS2, then you'll
>> probably
>> do a good job of it.

I want to make a freebsd port of JFS2. The source code is available at
http://jfs.sourceforge.net/
The reasons are academic and I have no reason to suggest that people
stop using ufs.

>> So, of course support for new filesystem support is good, but my
>> personal
>> opinion is that JFS2 isn't worth your time, for two reasons:
>>
>> a)  Even if it's BSD licensed, it's unlikely to displace UFS as our
>> default filesystem.

The license is not a BSD license -and for those who are interested -
it reads as follows:-

/*
*   Copyright (c) International Business Machines Corp., 2000-2002
*   Portions Copyright (c) Christoph Hellwig, 2001-2002
*
*   This program is free software;  you can redistribute it and/or
modify
*   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
*   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
*   (at your option) any later version.
*
*   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
*   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;  without even the implied warranty of
*   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See
*   the GNU General Public License for more details.
*
*   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
*   along with this program;  if not, write to the Free Software
*   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA
02111-1307 USA
*/

>> b)  It's not a widely used filesystem, so it doesn't really
>> increase our
>> interoperability with other OSes.

I will make it a seperate module (which is how it exists in linux).
It may not be appropriate to be used as a boot filesystem. If someone
from freebsd is interested in reviewing the port -pl. let me know.

thanks
-kamal
.
>> OTOH, updating our ext2 code, or ntfs code (if that's even
>> possible) would
>> be something of use to many people, I suspect.
>>

> Why not go for ext3 instead of JFS then? It has
> journaling in it.
>
> -SB

Kamal R. Prasad
UNIX systems consultant