misc questions about the device&driver arch

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 29 19:55:00 GMT 2005

On Thursday 10 November 2005 05:48 am, kylin wrote:
> Sir ,i am still puzzled by the windows and freebsd arch similar.
> 1
> the window TPS say that windwo allocate the resource window in default
> size of 1M or 2M,so there may be hole ,does that happen in freebsd 5
> or 6?

No.

> 2
> in my view i believe that freebsd us the "just enough "tactics,so
> the nexus level of resource view is ===continuous====with NO hole  in
> a boot up system,  IF hot remove do not happen .am i right?

Sorta.  We actually will use whatever the BIOS uses by default.  We only try
to alloc resources if the BIOS doesn't, and I'm not sure how we handle a
bridge running out of resources.  I think we might just fail the allocation.

> 3
> IF i do a PCI hotplug under a bridge, and the bridge 's MEM Window is
> full ,i have to do reballacne (including use the device_pause
> method:)), and if i can not declaim the resource from  other bridge
> because "nexus level of resource view is ===continuous====with NO hole
>  ", can i  extend the physical address space beyond the boot time
> locate range to PCI host bridge ?

Well, if you had device_pause() you would be able to shuffle resources from
one bridge to another perhaps.  Preallocating bigger chunks as your first
question suggested might be a lot simpler though not completely fool proof.