6.0-STABLE & powerd: eating my keyboard input

BSD bsdlists at celeritystorm.com
Thu Nov 24 01:33:52 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I just upgraded from 6.0-RELEASE to -STABLE today (FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE
#0: Thu Nov 24 00:40:48 WET 2005). After the upgrade I couldn't login
anymore, so I thought I probably erased master.passwd by mistake with
mergemaster, and rebooted into single user mode. Here I reset both root
and my user account password, and processed to multiuser, only to fail
the login again. Both on KDE and console. I rebooted again into single
user, and changed both password to 3 characters. Now I could login, but
every word I typed would have some letters wiped out (that was why the
login was failing, it was "eating" my password).

A quick 'top' inspection showed powerd using ~30% CPU, which is
abnormal. I killed it, and voila! No more letter-eating. I started it
again, and back to the same.

powerd has always worked fine, it started behaving like this when I
upgraded just an hour ago. This is a centrino laptop from acer.
Comments, suggestions ?