twe and giant

Charles Sprickman spork at fasttrackmonkey.com
Sat Nov 5 23:37:04 GMT 2005

Hello all,

I was just wondering about this...  I recently bumped a soon-to-be
production box to 6.0 as it seems like upgrading now is easier than doing
it the week after the box goes into production (it's amazing how the
release engineering team knows to schedule this way...:).

One thing I noticed in reviewing the boot messages is that twe is still
under the giant lock:

twe0: <3ware Storage Controller. Driver version 1.50.01.002> port
0x2860-0x286f mem 0xf4000000-0xf47fffff irq 17 at device 13.0 on pci0
twe0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
twe0: 4 ports, Firmware FE8S 1.05.00.068, BIOS BE7X 1.08.00.048

I bring this up because I could have sworn that I read here or elsewhere
that this driver was revamped.  I also could have sworn that at some point
in 5.x it was not under giant.  Maybe I'm imagining things...

Anyhow, does anyone know the status of this, and also is there a central
repository that tracks changes like this that I can watch?

Thanks,

Charles