kgdb doesn't seem to work, says "Cannot read PTD"

Aurel Bodenmann aurelbodenmann at gmx.ch
Fri May 20 15:39:08 GMT 2005

Hello!

My FreeBSD box is giving me quite a hard time, it panics from time to
time (normally after a few days uptime), I suspect it has something
to do with this cheap SATA controller I'm using (Promise SATA150
TX4). Anyway, I wanted to locate the problem and do something about
it (aka submit an useful coredump to this list :-) but unfortunately
neither gdb nor kgdb seem to work for me. I've tried to make a
coredump as described in [1] and have now a kernel.debug file
(containing the kernel with debug information) and a vmcore.1 file
(whose size is 768MB as it should be). Now, I'm trying to open these
two with

gdb -k kernel.debug vmcore.1

but it says

gdb: unrecognized option `-k'
Use `gdb --help' for a complete list of options.

so I read the manpage only to find out that -k still exists and that
it should work like described in [1]. Ok, so I've tried kgdb but it
gives me an error too:

root> kgdb kernel.debug vmcore.1
kgdb: cannot read PTD

after some googling I found out, that some people are having the same
trouble ([2] and [3]) but unfortunately I couldn't find any advice on
how-to create an useful coredump without using kgdb or gdb. I would
really appreciate if someone could help me, I would like to help on
this bug.

Thanks, Aurel Bodenmann

[1] http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/04/04/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-hackers/2005-April/