Porting on FreeBSD 53

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 12 22:07:22 GMT 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Hervé Kergourlay wrote:

> 2) ACLs
>
> I'm using the API acl_get_file and family with success with ACL_TYPE_ACCESS
> defined in /usr/include/sys/acl.h
>
> #define ACL_TYPE_ACCESS         0x00000000
> #define ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT        0x00000001
> #define ACL_TYPE_AFS            0x00000002
> #define ACL_TYPE_CODA           0x00000003
> #define ACL_TYPE_NTFS           0x00000004
> #define ACL_TYPE_NWFS           0x00000005
>
> but what about the other defines, specially ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT, are there
> used. I didn't find who in the documentation

ACL_TYPE_ACCESS and ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT are the only implemented types.  I
just removed the others from HEAD since they're unnecessary.  I'll merge
that change to RELENG_5_4.

> 3) Extended attributes
>
> are Acls part of these attributes or not ? do we have to backup theses
> attributes with the Acls ?

Access control lists are stored in system extended attributes.  From the
perspective of backup, you want to backup the ACLs, not the system
attributes.  There is reference code in BSD tar, and star is also able to
backup ACLs.

Robert N M Watson