Accessing BIOS memory range

alexander arundel at h3c.de
Thu May 12 19:58:28 GMT 2005

Hi there.

I'm writing a little app in 32 bit x86 (386 minumum) assembly, where I need to access
some memory in the BIOS range. The real address is 40h:6Ch (virtual = ((0x40<<4) | 0x6C)).

Gaining access to the I/O ports isn't a big problem (open fd for /dev/io), but I don't
know how to gain access to memory that isn't part of my user address space.

Any hints? I heard that maybe /dev/mem or /dev/kmem might let me gain access to the BIOS
memory, but 'man' tells me that the range is limited to the following range:
0x000a0000 to 0x00100000/0xf0000000 ??

Is it even possible to gain access to that memory area (of course as 'su'). I'd be really
if somebody could give me a hint where I have to look (mem, kmem, io ???).

Thx in advance.