Panic when removing Airprime PC5220 card (usb hub).

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed May 11 08:17:53 PDT 2005

In message: <200505111627.04961.hselasky at c2i.net>
            Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net> writes:
: On Wednesday 11 May 2005 09:59, David Andersen wrote:
: > I'm hacking up a quick and dirty driver for the AirPrime PC5220 (EVDO /
: > 1xRTT) card, but I'm encountering a crash unrelated to my driver.  The
: > card is a pc card that presents itself as a USB hub with one device
: > hanging off of it.  Removing the card from the system causes a kernel
: > panic.  The backtrace looks something like:
: >
: > kobj_delete+0xb
: > device_delete_child + 0x98
: > usb_disconnect_port + 0xf3
: > uhub_detach + 0x7a
: > device_detach + 0x57
: > device_delete_child + 0x2b
: > device_delete_child + 0x17
: > ohci_pci_detach + 0x85
: > device_detach + 0x57
: > cardbus_detach_card + 0x93
: > cbb_removal + 0x6f
: > cbb_event_thread + 0xb6
: > fork_exit + 0x74
: > fork_trampoline() + 0x8
: > trap 0x1 eip = 0 esp = 0xedf66d6c
: >
: > (sorry for the poor formatting;  I don't have serial debug support at
: > the moment to copy-paste. :)
: >
: I think that the existing USB driver does not allow USB-controllers to be
: detached. At least the root-hub does not allow this. And when they try to
: detach, the devices are deleted twice (which is due to the fact that the code
: was ported from NetBSD, which bus interface is a little different).

Actually, -current has fixed both of these problems.  At least that's
what my looking at the source shows in addition to being the one to
make the fixes...

Warner