mergemaster improvement (auto-update for not modified files)

Denis Peplin den at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 6 04:05:04 PDT 2005

Hello!

Juergen Unger wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 11:15:51AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>files that I have not touched are at default state and I wnat them to move
>>to teh new default state. Files I have touched, I want to look at by hand.
>

> so do I.  And to go a step further: why do we at all have to run
> this things in single-user mode ?
> Not that I am not aware of the technical reasons for it
> BUT: why don't we run both the installworld and the mergemaster
> jobs in a manner where they only _preparing_ the installation of
> the update ? ... maybe creating a jobfile which could be
> run automatically during reboot to make the update instantaneous
> happen without a long downtime to do it all manually in
> single-user mode over a slow serial console ?

Ideas like this are definitely flying around.
In addition I can say that it will be good to recieve control
back even if something goes wrong on such auto-update.
Maybe statically-linked sshd in root directory would help in such
(and many other) situations.