cleanup and diffs ?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue May 3 16:26:48 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 10:38:37PM +0000, Thordur I. Bjornsson wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I was surfing the dragonflybsd wiki site the other day and found out
> that they are doing a "base-cleanup". That is they are compiling the
> tools that come with the base system with WARNS?=6 ...
>
> Humm... This is something that I could do.. Minor cleanup (since I'm no
> C expert or a OS developer ;) this fits my skillset just fine.
>
> Now I have two questions is this something that will be appriciated by
> someone ? (that is would this clean-up if done properly find its way to
> the tree ?... nobody likes going through "trouble" like this when it
> will have no affect ;). If so.. what is the diff format that is expected
> (diff -crN ?) and should this be sent via send-pr(1) ?
>
> I know that a ,,clean-up'' like this is propably not high on the todo
> list for FreeBSD but.. for me this would be an easy way to contribute
> something back since I have no skill to work in the kernel &c.

You need to understand how to fix the warnings properly..it isn't just
a matter of making random changes until gcc stops complaining about
it.  This can be nontrivial.  Also, Dragonfly doesn't have to worry
about any other architectures than i386, so it's possible that they
haven't "really" fixed many of these warnings (i.e. they might still
be there on a 64-bit platform).

Kris