mergemaster improvement (auto-update for not modified files)

Juergen Unger j.unger at addict.de
Tue May 3 15:25:53 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 11:15:51AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> c0ldbyte wrote:
[...]
> >But with all due respect, This just seems like another case of a
> >"Bike Shed" incident.
> not at all.
> I've wanted this for a long time..
> files that I have not touched are at default state and I wnat them to move
> to teh new default state. Files I have touched, I want to look at by hand.

so do I.  And to go a step further: why do we at all have to run
this things in single-user mode ?
Not that I am not aware of the technical reasons for it
BUT: why don't we run both the installworld and the mergemaster
jobs in a manner where they only _preparing_ the installation of
the update ? ... maybe creating a jobfile which could be
run automatically during reboot to make the update instantaneous
happen without a long downtime to do it all manually in
single-user mode over a slow serial console ?

bye,
  Juergen