organization

Craig Boston craig at tobuj.gank.org
Tue Mar 29 09:22:23 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 05:05:38PM +0200, Divacky Roman wrote:
> wasnt here some discussion about moving FreeBSD to subversion (as some other
> projects did - samba, mono etc.)? and subversion solves this...

Yes, a few people have looked at it from time to time (raises hand as
one of the guilty parties).

The last I heard, subversion did not scale well to the massive amount of
files that are in the FreeBSD repository.  IIRC it's been a while since
this was tested, so it may or may not be true anymore.  SVK may
partially address this by bypassing libwc.

Also, repository size is a big issue (no pun intended).  If adding a few
hundred megs for repo-copies is prohibitively expensive, I don't think
increasing the repo size by many gigabytes would go over very well.
Subversion repositories can easily be several times the size of a CVS
repository containing the same data.

Craig