organization

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Mar 29 08:39:19 PST 2005

At 7:41 AM -0800 3/29/05, mohamed aslan wrote:
>guys this is not a flame war
>but the linux way in arranging the source file is really better
>than freebsd way, it's a fact.
>
>however it's easy to rearrange it in 1 min as someone said before.
>but i mean this step should be done from the core team.
>for example all fs has to go in a subdir called fs
>arch specific file should go in subdir called arch/(arch name)
>and so on .

One thing to watch out for is the mess this would cause in the CVS
repository.  CVS does not track "file moves", so if we move a lot
of things around then we just end up with them in *both* the old
and the new locations.  I certainly believe the tree could be
organized better than it is, but the benefits from reorganizing are
just not worth the time and effort it would take (*), and the mess
it would make out of the CVS repository.

(* - 99% of the time and effort would be in getting everyone
      to *agree* on the best layout...)

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu