organization

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 28 23:50:35 PST 2005

On 2005-03-28 21:17, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at britannica.bec.de> wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:05:30AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
>> As things have changed, some of the original layout decisions have
>> become rather outdated.  For a slightly better example, check out the
>> layout of the DragonflyBSD kernel sources. Matt took the oportunity
>> to re-arange the FreeBSD sources when he imported them.. To some
>> extent I agree with him (though not necessariy with his positioning
>> of every file).
>
> I completely agree here, but it is difficult to get everything into
> the perfect place. The NetBSD idea of moving i386 and the other platforms
> into arch/ is also very nice.
>
>> It is possible that we could do with a reoganisation but it isn't a
>> work-free job..  Matt took some time to get everything working
>> again..
>
> The biggest problem is keeping history here. Doing something like that
> with CVS is a major PITA. We didn't have any old release, so moving
> the repository files didn't create a problem. That's impossible in
> FreeBSD land :)

Not impossible.  Just extremelly annoying, cumbersome and error-prone.

A file may be repo-copied to a new location, then removed from the HEAD
branch in the old location and deleted from the rest of the branches in
the new location.  This way the history will be there, in both places
but the file will only 'live' in one place at a time.

I go agree though that the work this requires for thousands of files is
an immense task, not to be taken lightly.

- Giorgos