security or lack thereof

Jacques Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 23 07:06:31 PST 2005

On 3/22/05 9:04 PM, John Nemeth wrote:
>      So, is it FreeBSD policy to ignore security bug reports?  I sent
> the following bug report to security at freebsd.org on Feb. 19th, 2005 and
> it still hasn't been acted on.  This total lack of action on an
> extremely simple (and silly) three year old bug doesn't give one the
> warm fuzzies.  Heck, it took 48 hours to get a response from a security
> officer, and another 24 hours to get something from the guilty
> developer.

Hi John,

I'm sorry for the delay.  I could give you a list of excuses, but
suffice it to say that the "simple (and silly)" bug had lower priority
than several other issues in our queue.  We should have sent you a
status update, though: that's my fault.  Better late than never, I hope?

Initially we believed the bug was more serious than you had reported,
since it has an evil side-effect (sets pw_uid to 0).  However, we
discovered that due to a second bug the impact was limited.  Saved by
dumb luck (^_^).  Anyway, as you might know, we are in a code freeze for
5.4.  Coincidentally, just yesterday we asked the Release Engineering
team for (and received) permission to apply a fix for 5.4-RELEASE.  So
you will see the issue addressed shortly.  The correct fix is a bit more
subtle than that suggested in your original message.

I guess I should also mention that we've discussed removing rexec/rexecd
entirely (for 6.x releases), since it has been deprecated for over 6
years, and the documentation has discouraged its use for over 11 years.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A Vidrine / NTT/Verio
nectar at celabo.org / jvidrine at verio.net / nectar at FreeBSD.org