firewall

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Mar 22 17:10:52 PST 2005

On 2005-03-23 07:41, iwan at staff.usd.ac.id wrote:
> I just build a web server, with apache-2.xx w/ php and
> mysql-1.4xx. How to configure firewall in my web server ?

- The FreeBSD Handbook has several sections devoted to firewalls and
  their configuration.
- The archives of this mailing list have dozens of suggestions for
  firewall setups.
- The articles at O'Reilly's OnLamp site have even more firewall setup
  examples.

You can find a lot of material online.  Just start looking at pages like:

	http://www.FreeBSD.org/docs.html
	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/
	http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/13
	http://ezine.daemonnews.org/

> Must I download kernel source and recompile ?

Nope.

> If I must download kernel source, where I can found it ?

The sources for the FreeBSD base system are in /usr/src.  The kernel is
under /usr/src/sys.  The Handbook contains detailed instructions about
rebuilding everything from source.

> I'm using freebsd 5.1-RELEASE.  Thanks.

That's a very old and experimental release of the 5.X branch.  You
should really consider upgrading to (or reinstalling with) a more recent
5.X release.  5.3-RELEASE is teh latest release that is available on the
mirrors right now, and if you can wait a few days, 5.4-RELEASE is
scheduled to be out sometime during the first days of April.

- Giorgos