mysql threads

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Mon Mar 21 07:34:52 PST 2005

In the last episode (Mar 21), iwan at staff.usd.ac.id said:
> I'm new in freebsd. I have a question about mysqld threads. I using
> freebsd 5.1-RELEASE, default installation. Then I installing mysql
> 4.xx.xx (i forgot). Not like httpd which automatic creating threads
> when more connection exist. Mysql in my box is not creating threads,
> it only exist with one thread. So if there is alot of connections
> appear, mysql is down. It still alive in process, but hang.  I try to
> installing pthread library, but fail. There is dependencies, and I
> dont know how to fix it. My question: How to make mysql creating
> threads by automatic ?

Mysql requires threads; it can't work without them.  You're confused
becuase the only threads package you have ever seen is apparantly
LinuxThreads, which creates a separate process for each thread.  You
see separate processes in Apache (assuming 1.3 here) because it's a
forking model, where each incoming request is handled by a separate
process.

Consider upgrading to FreeBSD 5.3 (or 5.4, to be released sometime next
month), which has much better thread performance than 5.1 or 5.2.1.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com