using segmentation to manage memory in FreeBSD

Kamal R. Prasad kamalpr at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 08:20:23 PST 2005

--- John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2005 09:05 am, Ravi Krishna
> wrote:
> > Hi all!

[snip]

> Segments just provide a base + offset into the
> virtual address space that is
> backed by the TLB mappings, so to make this
> practically useful would be a lot
> more work than would first appear because your
> segments have to map virtually
> contiguous memory.

If I had a processor with no MMU, but only memory
protection and a segment register, can I port freebsd
onto that architecture? I mean, use the segment
register to provide for non-conflicting process
spaces.

thanks
-kamal

Kamal R. Prasad
UNIX systems consultant
kamalp at acm.org

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is:-).