Pointers for understanding vfs/buffer/filesystem architecture

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Fri Jul 29 03:22:23 GMT 2005

I've very interested in learning about FreeBSD's implementation of
vfs/buffer cache/fs archicture.  I've read through mckusick@'s chapter
in the Design and Implmentation of FreeBSD book, and I've read the UNIX
Filesystems book cover to cover.

What I'd like to see/read/understand, is how FreeBSD in particular is
put together in this regard, and then I'd like to go about writing a
very very simple filesystem as a learning excercise.

Can anyone give me some pointers?  Would anyone be willing to guide me
along in my quest by answering questions (off list if preferred, or on
list), etc?

Thanks in advance for the hints/input!
Eric