sendmail and clamav milter setting

Rob MacGregor freebsd.macgregor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 17:06:22 GMT 2005

On Thursday, July 21, 2005 5:19 PM, Patrick Dung <> unleashed the infinite
monkeys and produced:

> So, should the clamav-milter daemon be on the sendmail server or the
> antivirus server?

You may get more relevant information on the clamav list, or even
comp.mail.sendmail (since the question isn't FreeBSD specific).  Actually, I'm
fairly certain it's been discussed before, though not necessarily for clamav, on
comp.mail.sendmail.

> I have this configuration and this works:
>
> Sendmail SRV <-local domain socket-> clamav-milter <- tcp -> clamd
> server
> (server A) (server A) (server b)
>
> Or this is the correct one:
> Sendmail SRV <-tcp-> clamav-milter <- tcp/domain socket -> clamd server
> (server A) (server b) (server b)

To some degree the answer is: either.  It'll depend on the relative hardware
specs, the network speed and the sizes of the emails.  Try both and see what's
faster, on average, for you.

--
 Rob | Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!