Remove Heimdal Kerberos from my FreeBSD

Roman Kurakin rik at cronyx.ru
Mon Jul 18 09:15:55 GMT 2005

Vladimir Terziev wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   your right about useless things, but making basic software to depend on these useless things is a very bad idea.
>   I'm sure, telnet & ssh are the most used applications on any UNIX system, so they must not depend on any third party software by default. If you need kerberized ssh or telnet, then ok -- relink them to use kerberos, but why possible bugs in kerberos should affect ssh & telnet when kerberos is not mandantory for their functioning?

It depends on what we chose as a basic functionality. One wouldn't use
it, for other
person it is necessary. Again, for generic system it is normal to have
extra functionality.
If we remove it, many persons would suffer from that. If you do not need
it, just do
not use it. And all one would be happy.
It is not a problem to depend on kerberos till it isn't removed.

The worse thing is indirect depend. Why I have to setup lib by dependence,
that is needed by the unused functions from the lib I use? The same would be
to ask to remove those functions from that lib since they add extra
dependance.

If smth is commonly used, even not by majority but by quite nomerous
community it should be in generic system. No one is restricted to customize
system for any particular case. If you have such ability there is no any
problem.

rik