nagios and pthreads

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Wed Jul 13 16:42:43 GMT 2005

Hi Michal,

> I also experienced the problem and read the thread. I don't believe
> anybody found and shared a way to solve it. The conclusion of the thread
> was that the problem is more in the application then in FreeBSD - the
> application does things not well defined in POSIX threading environment.
>
> The right fix is probably a non trivial change to Nagios.

That is exactly my feeling.  I think Nagios got pthread support lately
and therefore has to lug its historic architectural choices.  This
problem, in conjunction to the fact that most open-source developpers
test their products under Linux only, leads to have a misbehaviour when
ran on other Unices, like FreeBSD.  Some brave people with appropriate
skills and motivation should try to patch Nagios and then try to convince
Nagios developpers to integrate this change.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen