C programming question

Michael Shalayeff mickey at lucifier.net
Wed Jul 6 18:17:12 GMT 2005

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Juan J. [Mart_nez]:
> El lun, 04-04-2005 a las 11:43 -0700, Matt escribis:
> > [...]
> > Can someone break down these declarations (if that's what they are)?  Is
> > this a form of typecasting?  Thanks for your help.
>
> Those are declarations of pointers to functions.
>
> /* real function */
> void dumb(int a) { return a; }

warning: `return' with a value, in function returning void

> /* here follows a declaration of func pointer */
> int (*func_ptr)(int);
> int a;
>
> /* assign it */
> func_ptr=dumb;

warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type

> /* use it */
> a=func_ptr(123);
>
> Any good book about C should cover this. Look for OOP in C also, it's
> frequent use pointers to functions + structs to add classes to C.

perhaps you should read that book first (:

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)