Using a logitech mx700 with scrollwheel _and_ thumb buttons

Joe Schmoe non_secure at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 20:57:36 GMT 2005

Andre,

--- André-Philippe Paquet <appaquet at gmail.com> wrote:

> My MX500 is working just fine. Here what I do:
>
>    - Install imwheel (/usr/ports/x11/imwheel)
>

>    - Add this to ~/.imwheelrc
>
> ".*"
> None, Up, Alt_L|Left,1
> None, Down, Alt_L|Right,1
>
> "(null)"
> None, Up, Alt_L|Left,1
> None, Down, Alt_L|Right,1
>

>    - In my x.org <http://x.org> file.. For the
> InputDevice section:
>
> Option "Buttons" "7"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
>
>    - Finaly, I run these two commands on Xwindows
> start:
>
> imwheel -b "67" &
> xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

Nope.  I reproduced these same settings _exactly_, and
they produce the same results.

With your settings above, the scroll wheel works fine,
and the two thumb buttons each cause the web page to
scroll very slightly downward.  This is the same thing
they did with all the other different configurations I
tried.

Why is using mouse thumb buttons under FreeBSD _rocket
science_ ?  Why is this a _hard problem_ ?