device id question (usb and scsi)

Bram Van Steenlandt brampie at no-wackos.com
Thu Jan 20 01:58:56 PST 2005

Hi,

I've been having some problems with the following:
ex1: I have two scsi scanners and I use sane to scan all works well my
two scanners are /dev/pass0 and /dev/pass1 however when one of them is
turned of the device are renumbered (wich is a problem because then I
have to change the sane configuration files)

ex2: Same thing as above happens with usb printer, I work with cups and
printers get mixed from the moment you leave one of.

I have a support pack for cups and they tell my there is no other
solution then to move to linux or osx because they have device id
numbers (they save the number kinda like a dhcp server and fixed ip
adresses). Or that I have to wait untill freebsd implements this.

I am a very FreeBSD minded person (but also a newbie) and I find it very
hard to believe that such an advanced OS does not have some solution for
this.

So if anybody has any hints or solutions please send them.

btw I'm running FreeBSD5.3RELEASE/i386

regards bram