Kernel mode programming -precisions

Street Chaman street_chaman at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 11:55:06 PST 2005

Thanks to everyone who read my question; here some precisions:

Actually, my soft is a kind of interactive filter: it takes a lot of imput
parameters (from keyboard at the moment, but as soon as i've understood how
it works, i will increase the number of supported io devices); treats it in
a particular way and produces an output. This 'particular way' requires a
lot of clock cycle, so speed is my first problem; (that's part of reason why
everything is directly written in assembly). I've already buffered input and
output, but only as far at it was possible: since loop (X) input could
affect loop (X-1) general data manipulation, and change output, it must be
detected quickly. The time needed to read/write is still to long. When CPU
is waiting on some new data, he cannot preform any other operation, and
freezes data manipultion; that's why I'm looking for a new way to in/output
the soft...
I've found out in syscall.master the aio_read/write call. Man page says
operation is asynchronous, so it returns quite immediatly after enqueuing
the io thread. Could that be a solution ?  Or back to kernel module (by the
way: is it possible to write on in assembly) ?

regards,

Felix