Building a release

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 30 08:57:25 PST 2005

If memory serves me right, Daniel Rudy wrote:
> I'm having some difficulties in building a release ISO from sources.
> When I do a make release in /usr/src/release, everything seems to go
> well until is tries to access perl5.8 in the ports.  I go into ports and
> find that there is nothing there.  Here's what I have been doing:
>
> Build directory trees:
> mkdir /usr/cvsroot
> mkdir /usr/release
> mkdir /usr/tmp/cvs
>
> Get CVS tree:
> cd /usr/tmp/cvs
> cvs -d anoncvs at anoncvs1.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -rRELENG_6_0_0_RELEASE src
> cvs -d anoncvs at anoncvs1.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co doc
> cvs -d anoncvs at anoncvs1.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co ports
>
> Build local CVS repository:
> cd /usr/cvsroot
> CVSROOT=/usr/cvsroot ; export CVSROOT
> CVSEDITOR=vi ; export CVSEDITOR
> cvs init
> cd /usr/tmp/cvs/src
> cvs import src RELENG_6_0_0_RELEASE src
> cd /usr/tmp/cvs/doc
> cvs import doc RELENG_6_0_0_RELEASE doc
> cd /usr/tmp/cvs/ports
> cvs import ports RELENG_6_0_0_RELEASE ports

Any particular reason that you're trying to recreate FreeBSD's CVS
repository layout, rather than just grabbing a copy of the repository?
I haven't thought much about this problem but it seems to me you're
winding up with tags in your reconstructed repository that are not the
same as the tags in the "real" repository, and this may be causing some
problems.

I could picture you wanting to do this if you were tragically low on
disk space but until you get some success at actually building a
release, you might be better off stucking to a more "normal" setup.

Good luck!

Bruce.