My wish list for 6.1

Sergey Babkin babkin at verizon.net
Sun Dec 25 06:18:24 PST 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > If people are concerned about performance, I benchmarked a 6-beta
> > > kernel SMP versus UP on a socket 939 Opteron.
> >
> > If those results are accurate, there's no real reason not to just use an
> > SMP kernel on default install?
>
> Just because it didn't manifest on this workload, doesn't mean it
> doesn't on others.  I think this is the point :)

Hm, how about this (similar to what Linuxes do):

Use an SMP kernel for the installation boot, so that the install
scripts can discover the SMP machines.

Have two GENERIC kernels built and packaged, UP and SMP.

The install scripts then install the kernel matching the absent
or present SMP (like Linux distros do). Probably with an option of
a manual override through a menu. Maybe better yet, install both
(or allow to install both) and allow to choose the one booted
through a sysinstall menu.

-SB