My wish list for 6.1

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Dec 21 17:47:44 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 06:01:37PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Juhana Tahvanainen, and lo! it spake thus:

> how about:
>
> FreeBSD-Handbook-General is rather fixed once ready, only
> maintenance needed is when some future release doesnt support
> something anymore, that is removed and moved to
> FreeBSD-Handbook-BRANCH.x.

Difficult to manage.  You have to remember or know which branches to
backport stuff to, and you can't then say "OK, we won't bother with
3.x anymore, but Handbook-3.x will remain around not needing further
work for people using it", as future changes might not get pushed
back.

It would probably be easier using something like marked sections in a
single handbook to separate out version-specific stuff from more
general stuff; that way, at least it's all in one place, and you could
just generate handbooks for any given branch off one source.  Of
course, it can get ugly to look at, too..

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net