Problem booting FreeBSD from cboot FreeBSD from cdrom using grubdrom using grub

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Dec 21 10:39:25 PST 2005

John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
 > On Tuesday 20 December 2005 11:43 pm, Tony wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >   I'm trying to make an iso image that will boot FreeBSD using GRUB boot
 > > loader.
 > >   Grub will boot /boot/loader and the loader will boot /boot/kernel. It
 > > goes well on my disk, but when I try to make a livecd, it fails. I spend
 > > some time figuring out that /boot/loader does not probe cd it self, it
 > > depends on boot2 to tell him which cd to boot from. So I did some hack
 > > on /boot/loader.
 >
 > Why do you need to use GRUB?  The current cdboot + /boot/loader stuff works as
 > is.

I had a similar problem.  I needed to use GRUB because I had
to create a multi-OS DVD-ROM which contained FreeBSD, NetBSD
and OpenBSD.  So I needed a bootmanager which is able to boot
all of them.

Unfortunately, it didn't work, similar to what the original
poster in this thread explained, so I had to forget about
making the DVD bootable, and instead require the users to
burn CDs or floppies from images contained on the DVD.  :-(

If anyone knows how to make such a multi-OS bootable DVD,
I'm all ears ...  I've tried both GRUB and GAG, but neither
worked.

Best regards
   Oliver

Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse.
        -- Larry Wall